Sustainable Design : Leadership
Successfully implementing sustainable design requires experience and strong leadership.
A U.S. Green Building Council member firm since 2007, HLR leads its clients through the development of environmentally responsible communities, and promotes sustainable development and energy independence according to the highest standards.
Firm principal David Hensley is a LEED-Accredited Professional and a third-party provider for the City of Dallas Green Building Program. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the North Texas Chapter of the U. S. Green Building Council and has served as a member of the Green Task Force Committee to implement Green Building Standards within the City of Dallas. HLR’s experience with sustainable design programs includes Green Built Texas, Dallas Green, Austin Green, LEED for Homes, and the National Green Building Standard, among others.
HLR adheres to key sustainable principles to reduce energy consumption and minimize environmental impact, including:
- Using advanced framing techniques to minimize construction waste
- Maximizing natural light and ventilation
- Decreasing mechanical equipment loading and sizing
- Creating structured parking to increase density and minimize the heat island effect
- Designing within the existing infrastructure to enhance connections to alternative transportation
- Specifying low-VOC and regionally available materials
- Promoting the use of low-flow toilets, faucets and showers, and low-maintenance landscaping and irrigation